Find Nonprofit and Small Business Grants

Advance Search

Only Available for Paid Subscribers
Clear Filters
Search Filters

Grants to California School Districts, Charter Schools, and County Offices of Education for School Meal Programs

2023-24 School Breakfast Program (SBP) and Summer Meal Programs (SMP) Start-up and Expansion Grant

GrantWatch ID# 168678
Agency: State

Funding Source
California Department of Education (CDE)
Nutrition Services Division
Array ( )

Geographic Focus
USA: California

Important Dates
Deadline: 03/17/23 4:00 PM Save

Grant Description
Grants of $15,000 to California school districts, charter schools, and county offices of education to develop or expand school breakfast programs and summer meal programs. Eligible projects are those that benefit K-12 students under the age of eighteen. Funding is intended for school sites where at least 20% of the student population is eligible for free or reduced meals.

Funding is for nonrecurring expenses incurred in initiating or expanding a: (1) School Breakfast Program, serving students in kindergarten through grade twelve or (2) Summer Meal Program, serving children and youth eighteen years of age and under during school breaks. School districts, direct-funded charter schools, and county offices of education may apply for grants; however, only one type of grant may be awarded per school site.

Below is a list of frequently requested equipment that supports innovative School Breakfast Program and Summer Meal Programs service models:

  • Wireless point-of-sale systems
  • Wagons and insulated bags for Breakfast in the Classroom service
  • Delivery vehicle
  • Portable steam table
  • Blender
  • Yogurt machine
  • Smoothie machine
  • Horizontal wrapper
  • Refrigerated truck
  • Mobile food service cart
  • Salad bar
  • Merchandising kiosk
  • Speed line—cold and hot
  • Grab and Go refrigerator
  • Dough divider
  • Barbecue equipment
  • Milk cooler


  • Others (see text field entitled "Additional Eligibility Criteria" for clarification)

Additional Eligibility Criteria
Eligible applicants: Local education agencies

To qualify for SBP grants, at least 20 percent of enrolled students at the school site must be approved for free or reduced-price meals. To receive SMP grants, the site must meet program eligibility criteria. The Budget Act allows the California Department of Education (CDE) to award grants only to school districts, county offices of education, and direct-funded charter schools.

Site must not have previously been awarded a grant for an SBP or SMP within the past three years.

Private schools, residential child care institutions, and juvenile detention centers are not eligible to receive these funds.

Pre-Application Information
The 2023–24 application is due no later than March 17, 2023, by 4 p.m.

- Date Application Available: January 4, 2023
- Due Date: March 17, 2023
- Expected Notification Date: June 1, 2023

Recipients will receive 90 percent of the funding at the time of award with the remaining 10 percent awarded upon approval of all invoices. The CDE will recover funds from agencies that do not submit invoices for approved budget items within the award time frame.

Grant Instructions:

Additional Funding Information

Estimated Total Program Funding:


Estimated Size of Grant
$15,000 per site

Term of Contract
SFAs must purchase equipment within the grant award period. The grant award period is indicated on the SFA’s grant award notification.

Contact Information
Apply online:

Program Questions: Gina Stahlecker, 916-445-1640,

Fiscal Questions: Elia Bassin, 916-322-3005,

Downloading Questions: School Nutrition Programs Specialist, email

California Department of Education
1430 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814-5901

Grant Writers For Hire - Grant Writer Team Grant News Grant Writers For Hire - Grant Writer Team
Live Chat Chat Now