Foundation / Corporation
San Francisco Youth Empowerment Fund (YEF)
Grants of up to $10,000 for San Francisco, California nonprofits for programs led by and for youth under eighteen years of age. Young people residing throughout the city are invited to apply for funding of their initiatives that fulfill their vision and address vital community needs.
YEF allocates funding to the following types of projects:
- Long-Term Projects: includes series, clubs, organizing, workshops
- Collaborative: must include one community partner
- Project Support
- Supplies to take the project to the next level (ex: a video camera for a youth filmmaking club)
- Summer Activities
- Safe and supportive youth-led activities during summer months
Criteria for Applying:
- Does the project meet a youth need?
- Does proposal request a realistic amount of money?
- Would the project be possible without financial support?
GrantWatch ID#: 171054
Up to $10,000
Projects should take place from October to May.
All YEF Mini-Grants Must:
- Be created and led by youth under 18
- Have at least one adult ally
- Be financially sponsored by a community-based nonprofit organization
- Have a budget totaling between $1-$10k
- Be in San Francisco and for San Franciscans
- Have 1 youth leader and 1 adult ally attend 3 grantee gatherings
YEF cannot fund:
- Adult staff wages/salaries
- Administrative fees and overhead costs
- Expenses outside of San Francisco
- Bottled water
Young people in San Francisco can apply for up to $10,000, three times a year, to fund their unique ideas and vision addressing important community issues and needs.
For youth-led projects taking place during: June - August
Grants up to: $2,500
Application deadline: First Friday in April
School Year Cycle:
For youth-led projects taking place during: October - May
Grants up to: $10,000
Application deadline: First Friday in September
For youth-led projects taking place during: January - June
Grants up to: $5,000
Application deadline: First Friday in November
The YEF Advisory Boards takes about a month to review all applications, interview and make final funding decisions. The applicant will usually be contacted within 2 weeks about an interview and will be informed of application status about two weeks after the interview.
Grant FAQ: See below in Supporting Documents
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Both versions of the application form - form to be filled out by hand and form to be filled out online - are attached below in Supporting Documents.
Paper applications are accepted in person only on Fridays at:
1426 Fillmore Street, Suite 204
San Francisco CA 94115
Applications may also be submitted electronically:
For questions about the Mini-Grants application process, please contact Associate Director Breanne Harris at the email address above or by phone at: 415-561-0631 ext. 119
General questions about YEF should be directed to Program Manager Betty Sells-Asberry:
USA: California: San Francisco